We recognize the importance of reducing our impact on, and adapting to, climate change.
In FY2020, we pledged to accelerate our global climate performance and announced clear targets and a formal commitment to make significant and sustainable progress by 2025.
More specifically, we committed to:
- Reduce the CO2 intensity of our operations by 20%.
- Reduce the energy intensity of our operations by 10%.
We have allocated a portion of our three-year CDN$50 million investment to complete 12 specific projects across our network, and pursued opportunities in sourcing renewable electricity.
Some of these projects include:
- We announced that our Dairy Division (Australia) has commenced a large-scale renewable power purchasing agreement which will enable 46% of our electricity consumption in Australia to be offset with renewable energy, saving 61,000 tons of CO2, which represents a 5.7% reduction of our global CO2 footprint.
- Preparations have started for the installation of 9,400 solar panels at our Davidstow plant, in our Dairy Division (UK). Once the new solar panel system is fully operational, it should generate around 5,000 MWh of renewable electricity every year and save more than 1,000 tonnes of CO2 annually. The installation is expected to be complete by September 2021.
- We completed an energy-saving project at one of our Dairy Division (USA) facilities where two boilers were retrofitted with high-efficiency burners to help decrease fuel usage and emissions. On an annual basis, we’ll be saving over 550 GJ of energy and 700 tonnes of CO2.
Moreover, 24 new projects will be funded in FY22, expected to create an additional estimated savings of 259,000 GJ and 40,000 tonnes of CO2e. In FY21, we were proud to be awarded an improved score of B by CDP as a result of our enhanced climate-related disclosure. Further information about our GHG emissions and climate disclosure is available as part of our CDP Climate submission available on our reference documents page.