We recognize the importance of reducing our impact on, and adapting to, climate change.
In FY2020, we pledged to accelerate our global climate performance and announced clear targets and a formal commitment to make significant and sustainable progress by 2025.
More specifically, we committed to:
- Reducing the CO2 intensity of our operations by 20%.
- Reducing the energy intensity of our operations by 10%.
We allocated a portion of our three-year CDN$50 million investment to complete climate-specific projects across our network and pursued opportunities to source renewable electricity. Some key projects include:
- In our Dairy Division (Australia), we commenced a large-scale renewable power purchasing agreement which will enable 46% of our electricity consumption in Australia to be offset with renewable energy—saving 61,000 tons of CO2, which represents a 5.6% reduction in our global CO2 footprint.
- In our Dairy Division (UK), we completed the installation of 9,400 solar panels at our Davidstow plant, which is expected to save more than 1,000 tonnes of CO2 annually.
- Globally, we completed nine additional energy-saving projects such as heat recovery systems, steam accumulators, and updated boiler controls. On an annual basis, these projects will save over 94,500 GJ of energy and more than 8,000 tonnes of CO2.
An additional 19 energy and carbon saving projects will be funded in FY23, which are expected to generate an estimated savings of 188,000 GJ and 10,000 tonnes of CO2e.
As we progress on this ongoing journey, we continue to align our climate-related disclosure with the TCFD recommendations, and are proud to maintain our B score by CDP. To learn more about our GHG emissions and climate disclosure, click here.